Available in: Ridgewood Cosmetic Dentistry Clinic
Oral surgery involves treating teeth and tissues of the mouth. Although the “s” word might make you nervous, not all oral surgery procedures are that intensive. For example, tooth extractions are a form of oral maxillofacial surgery, but they often take just minutes, usually require just local anesthesia. Other common types of oral and maxillofacial surgery include gum reshaping (to even out a gummy smile), dental implants (to replace missing teeth) and jaw surgery (to smooth the jawbone after an extraction).
Cases when you may need to undergo oral surgery procedures:
– Wisdom tooth extraction
– Dental implants
– If there are teeth which interfere with proper orthodontics treatment
– When tooth decay symptoms are present because of a trauma or fracture of the root, oral surgery procedures may be required to save a tooth from extraction
– When oral cancer is suspected, oral surgery is performed to obtain a biopsy to conclude suspicions of the disease
Dental implants replaces tooth roots. Implants provide a strong foundation for fixed (permanent) or removable replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth.
There are many advantages to dental implants, including:
– Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth, and because they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent.
– Improved comfort. Because they become part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
– Easier eating. Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
– Improved self-esteem. Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
– Improved oral health. Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, more of your own teeth are left intact, improving your long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
– Durability. Implants are very durable and will last many years. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
– Convenience. Removable dentures are just that; removable. Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing your dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep your dentures in place.
Oral surgery & implants is available in: Ridgewood cosmetic dentistry Clinic